Monday, July 25, 2011

the end is near!

i'm so excited! i get my jaws un-banded on friday. finally! when i had them off to brush my teeth last friday, i could only open my mouth about 1 finger's width. so i know i'm going to want to go nuts and eat so much on friday, but i probably won't be able to eat exactly what i want. i'm thinking smoked pulled pork, mac n cheese and greens from the little bbq truck in clintonville. i can eat that with a fork and take my time, and rip up the bun of the sandwich to make the pieces small enough. those are also all pretty soft foods, so the chewing won't be too difficult. i can't wait! 
almost all the numbness in my face is gone now. the front of my chin is still numb, and my cheeks next to my nose are about halfway numb, which is a very bizarre feeling. i find it interesting how my brain isn't sure whether to interpret the returning sensation as tingly ticklishness or pain. 
the itching has toned WAY down, which i am very grateful for. that was awful! i can't believe how well this procedure has gone. i was preparing myself to be out of commission until probably september. i expected to spend the first week post-op crying and in tremendous amounts of pain. but so far, it has been smooth as butter. i couldn't have asked for a more tolerable, gentle recovery. i think after this post, i'll go add my opinion to dr. jackrit's ratings on the search site i found him on. for not having a choice (he was the only maxillofacial surgeon within 100 miles covered by my insurance), i ended up in the care of an incredibly talented, caring doctor and his staff. they really make you feel like they care about you individually. they called me every day for four or five days post-op to make sure everything was okay, even on memorial day when they were closed. too often, patients have procedures done and then they are sent home with little to no contact with the doctor before their next scheduled appointment. dr. jackrit has been there for me when i've had random silly questions, and i've never waited more than 10 mins in their waiting room. very impressed and pleased. 
being a very active, very social and energetic person, i feel like the last few weeks were spent in some sort of boring, restrictive time warp. it feels like i haven't seen my friends but once or twice in months, when it's really only been just over three weeks. so much can happen in that short amount of time, though, and i can't wait to get back in the loop with everyone i love. thanks to all of you who've sent your love, your positive vibes/prayers/whatever well-wishes suit your beliefs, and those of you who've helped to take care of me and cheer me up throughout this. i couldn't ask for better people in my life. everywhere i go, no matter what i'm doing in life, i am always surrounded by people that love me, and i'm very grateful for that fact.
i'll have to take a picture update post tomorrow. i look kind of scrubby today, so...i'll just wait :) but 95% of the swelling is gone, and i only have two bands on each side now, so you can see my pearly whites again! 
four days...come onnnnn, friday!!! the end is near!


p.s.: i've been a huge fan of free click-to-give sites for a few years now. so i'm going to take this opportunity to be a shameless hippie and promote a few of my favorite ones. giving is needed especially now; if you've heard anything about the drought in africa, children are starving, and we CAN help! thanks :)
The Hunger Site - Hunger, Children, Pets, Rainforest, and More!
Care2 - Click to Give, News and Petitions, and Community
FreeKibble!
and, my new favorite where i can both brush up on things for the GRE and help donate rice through the world food programme: FreeRice

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for updating us. I am highly considering having the surgery for my apnea as well. I am 40 years old and have been tired and worn out my entire life. We just found out this past Spring it was due to OSA. The CPAP was not working for me so I now sleep with a mouth piece that was NOT covered by insurance....$2,000.00 I am feeling a little bit better now but not sure if I want to wear it for the rest of my life. I have never been happy with my profile. My neck seems to be thick and my chin is not really noticable. I am so scared to have the surgery because I am such a baby when it comes to pain. Please continue to update your progress. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete