Friday, August 5, 2011

i'm free! 37 days post op

i can't believe it's over already! isn't it amazing how quickly a jaw broken in five places can heal? i feel so much better. i can't wait to see the concrete results once fall quarter starts, and it will be amazing to be at the horse barn at 8am on a full, quality night's sleep for once. i'll be able to wrestle those yearlings a little better :) behavior and training, here comes the more coherent, cognitively-improved and alert (not to mention more cheerful) hilary!

my cheeks are still a bit chubby and the bottom lip is numb so my smile isn't back to full-on charmer quite yet...

i think the arch bands and surgical hooks were by far the worst, most painful and difficult part of the surgery. my molars and canine teeth were wrapped in wire and strapped in with surgical hooks, tearing up my cheeks and lips. by the time i got them out, they were embedded into my gums and the wrapping wires had all but disappeared into my gumline, so getting them removed today was awful, even with laughing gas and 6 shots of novacaine (ouch).
on a brighter note, my parents' birthdays (yes, both on the same day) were yesterday, so we went out to smokey bones. i was able to eat a smoked chicken breast with onion rings and bacon on top, mashed potatoes and mac n cheese. the chicken gave me hardly any trouble and was amaaaaazing. i couldn't eat the bacon, though, because it was pretty thick cut and crispy. to get through an entire meal like that was so wonderful. today, after i got my arch bands taken off, my dad and i went to arby's and i got to eat a beef n cheddar with no problem; i could take bites and everything! never take the ability to eat whatever you want for granted.
i can't wait to get back into the loop with my classes and my friends, as well as hooping and being more active. i might even invest in my own glow hoop as a birthday present to myself! this has been the most boring, uneventful summer i've had in a long, long time. i haven't gone camping, only swam a few times, and haven't gotten to go to a festival...but it's worth it. i conquered this surgery like a boss and significantly improved my quality of life and thus, my future. in addition, i've had the chance to learn a lot more about myself, and to attempt to get back into writing. i think i might just keep this blog, or start a new one, so i can use writing's meditative energy to my benefit.
today's parting thought: i can't wait to eat a steak :)

No comments:

Post a Comment